Melody
Hi, I'm Melody. Wife to Nathan, mom to Hudson and Jayde, teacher to many.

Problem Solved

Because it is so hot, all I want to wear lately are dresses, but it is hard to find cute, inexpensive, non-strapless dresses; so how do I solve this problem? I make my own cute, inexpensive, sleeved dresses. This is my new thing. I have made 4 of these dresses for far. It takes only about an hour and you need just a few materials.



Here is what you need:

1. A pattern for a dress, but you only use the skirt portion. Make sure it is a pattern with a waistband. I love pockets so I made sure to use a pattern that had some.

2. An inexpensive shirt, or an old shirt you no longer wear.
3. Some fabric to match the shirt. You will need about a yard and 4 inches. Be sure to buy knit fabric. The dress needs to be able to stetch over your head and body. There are no zippers in this dress. I bought this fabric at 60% off...Score! (You know me, I love a great animal print)


4. Cut out and sew the skirt according to the directions.
5. Cut the shirt off about 6 inches below the armpit (this may vary depending on your bust size or length of your torso).
6. Sew skirt to shirt.
7. Iron.
Voilà !

Comments

  1. What fun I would go crazy making these if I had your figure. It reminds me of the cut off blouse/t-shirt dresses I made about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree dresses and skirts are the best during the summer. I wish I was as talented as you so I could make these. You make it sound so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for that. I was trying to explain to Ashley over the phone how to make one of those (they would make an awesome pregnancy dress), and it was hard to explain without pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i make dresses for my girls like this all the time! can't believe i never thought to try for my self. pockets seem tricky, are they hard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable, Melody! What a great idea! Maybe since it's summer vacation I'll actually have some time to use my sewing machine. I'll have to try this one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please commet below with question and comment and I'll be sure to reply.

Contact Form