Melody
Hi, I'm Melody. Wife to Nathan, mom to Hudson and Jayde, teacher to many.

Diy Shirt from Nathan's Great Grandma's Fabric

For those who don't know, we live in the house that once belonged to Nathan's great grandma, so we have a few of her things in the garage. One of them is her vintage sewing machine--you know the ones where the machine is built into the desk. The machine itself is beautiful. It's a slate gray and very industrial looking. One day I will have it removed from the desk and used as decor in my home.

The other day I was looking through its drawers and found some old, silky, vintage fabric. I knew I wanted to make something with it right away. Then, as if it was meant to be, I was on Pinterest and found this tutorial. It was exactly what I was thinking. I was so nervous I would screw up and waste this special fabric. Luckily, there are only a few minor errors that only I would notice.

I used a shirt from Target that already had a scoop neck. I rounded the front of the shirt myself like the tutorial says. I recommend following the tutorial step by step. I tried to do my own thing thinking I could simplify the process, but you really do need to do all the steps she does (i.e. taking off the sleeves). I recommend using a shirt that's a size larger than what you normally wear because you are cutting seams and resewing them, so you want a little leeway. Overall, I'm happy with how the shirt turned out and I will definitely be making more. I even have a little more of Nathan's great grandmother's fabric left to make something else.

Comments

  1. So you really needed to take off the sleeves? Boo! This sounds harder than I thought. Your shirt looks cuter than hers, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute idea ty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please commet below with question and comment and I'll be sure to reply.

Contact Form