Melody
Hi, I'm Melody. Wife to Nathan, mom to Hudson and Jayde, teacher to many.

Mel Gets Fit Tip #4: Excuses

 I was talking texting my sister yesterday. We were talking about her diet and got into a discussion about going to the gym. When asked, she said "excuses" keep her from going to the gym. I responded with, "Girl! I know about excuses. I made them for 6 years." I did! After I got hired to teach, my motivation for health and fitness just vanished. I was busy the first two years teaching with earning my Intern Credential and going to school nights, and the nights I didn't have class  I was on campus until 5:00pm making lessons plans. Going to the gym just wasn't going to happen (excuse), yet after the credential was done and I mastered the art of lesson planning, going to the gym still did not find it's way back into my schedule. After about 3-4 years teaching I had put on about 10+ pounds.

When I came home all I wanted to do was change into comfy clothes, eat a bowl of cereal and watch Ellen. Eventually, I started taking a nap at 4:00 most days. I looked forward to the 4:00 nap. Hey, I deserved it right? I worked all day. Meanwhile, working out was long forgotten. Napping was more important.

Eventually, I realized I was unhappy with the direction I was headed and started going to the gym, but usually only on the weekends. It was very random. My excuses prevailed. I was tired. I had to grade essays. The house was messy. I had other plans. I don't know what to do when I'm at the gym. It's raining. It's hot. Blah blah blah...

Finally, I started working out with a partner and we met a few times a week. This is short lived. Soon I found out I was pregnant and that became the go-to excuse for 9 months.

Fast forward 9 months. Hudson's born and I've put on even more weight. Six weeks after Hudson was born and I was clear to workout, I started doing little routines around the house because there were two weddings coming up that summer. Uh, that lasted a week. Being a new mom became my new excuse. I am tired. I have to breastfeed. My boobs hurt. I have no energy. I don't want to leave Hudson. Blah blah blah...

Many people might say new mothers are entitled to make excuses. Sure. Having an infant child is so so hard and the last thing you want to do is workout. I know! It took a year and a half after giving birth for me to get to a place where I was ready to get out of the slump and get off all the weight I had gradually put on over the last 6 years once and for all.

This is a really long explanation for simply saying I know about excuses. I was the queen of them. There will always going something that can keep you from going to the gym or working out (if you let it). Things that may seem more appealing (if you let them be).

I believe it comes down to deciding what's important to you. How badly do you want it? If you want it, make it happen. I had to change my entire routine. Instead of vegging on the couch for an hour after work, I'm now in the gym getting invigorated from my workout. I don't even need that 4:00 nap these days because the energy I get from working out and being active.

It has to become a part of your daily routine. For me my routine goes like this: I go to work, I come home, change right away and get to the gym by 4:00 with Hudson in tow. I don't even let not going become an option. Is it crowded? Yes. Are there students there? Yes.  Are there other things to do? Yes, but I try to not even let those thoughts enter my mind. There's no question. I'm going.

I am not a super hero. I am not special. I am a normal working mom who has made health and fitness a priority. I have forgotten all those excuses. They just aren't relevant anymore.  I promise you this, once you get into the gym and you start seeing results you are going to want to go. You will feel better about yourself. You will have more confidence. You will have more energy. You learn to love it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I can do it, so can you!

Comments

  1. I have been going to the gym now for 5 weeks snd cut my calories. But i have gained 3 pounds. I know it's muscle but i want the scale to go the other direction

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please commet below with question and comment and I'll be sure to reply.

Contact Form